Saturday, May 16, 2009

I suppose one of the advantages of being in a certain amount of personal economic uncertainty is that you think of new ways to enjoy time that doesn't involve shopping or spending money. Today we are going to read in the Borders cafe and to the World Press Photography Exhibition, which I am very much looking forward to and should be rather cheap.

I also find I have always been a heavy library user, but now I am getting almost everything I read from there. I am not buying clothes nearly as often and wearing some of my older clothes to work. We are trying to cut down on our grocery shopping by making lasagnes, which I am sick of but are so inexpensive per piece. We are saving more in preparation for the unknown future.

Not only that, my partner is beginning a university degree by correspondence, sorting out his Australian citizenship and learning to drive. It feels like despite the setback, we are getting some elements of our lives together that you tend to ignore when both have secure careers. I can't help but feel like our dreams have crumbled or at least taken a setback, but I want to look to the future and be positive.

Having said that, I was absolutely delighted to see that Sydney Film Festival is showing so many great films this year. I really wanted to see Food Inc and $9.99 and No Impact Man, but we settled with tickets to Coraline (in 3D!) and 500 Days of Summer.

I am also reading a fantastic book in the style of 'The Ladie's Number 1 Detective Agency', called 'Baking Cakes in Kigali'. It's really sweet and cute and quite lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment